Philadelphia, PA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for New Jersey

Q: One (of 5 siblings) live in their parents house in NJ for past decade. Both parents die, who gets the house? No will.

A woman is one of five children. She lived with her elderly mother and stepfather for the last 10 years. Her stepfather dies. The house and all assets go to his wife. Then his wife dies. The woman who has lived in the house for the last ten years has paid bills, remodeled and paid taxes on her parents home to maintain it. Her other 4 sibling now want the house. There is no will. can the woman who's been living there for the past decade be forced out? And if so, what is the process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: When a person dies without a will, the property the decedent owned is distributed through a process called probate to the decedent's heirs according to the states laws of intestate succession. If the decedent had surviving children but no surviving spouse, which sounds like the case here, the children inherit in equal shares. The woman who lived there for a decade or so will not have to share the house with her siblings. Most likely someone is going to want to sell, and any of the the siblings can force a sale using a process called partition, unless the one who wants to stay buys the other siblings shares from them. You should find a probate attorney to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.