New York, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I cannot remember the date of marriage that I used(if any) on the paper I-130 i filed for my sister in Bangladesh

NVC is asking for the fees and complete Immigrant Visa Application. I paid fees and working on the application now and I have all the info BUT the marriage date I used for the original I-130 document 12 years ago, I cannot even remember if I put a marriage date down for her. Requested a FOIA multiple times to no avail. She is in Bangladesh where records aren't really prevalent and she doesn’t know her marriage date but we know the year. Could I just put in a new date and have documents support the new date? But what will happen if I actually did put a date on the I-130 and it doesn't match the one I put in NVC

I do not want her to fail or get dismissed during the interview due to the discrepancy. What should I do about the missing marriage date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott

A: Doesn't your sister remember her date of marriage?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.