Pontiac, MI asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Regarding paternity and custody

My 25 yr old son was in a relationship, woman said he was the father of baby. They broke up in May 2019 and she will not have anything to do with us or him. No communication at all. He truly needs help and does not have much money. Can he get a legal aid attorney and how? He wants to be in the child's life if he is the father but the mother will not talk to us and says she will get a restraining order every time we call or text. Our communication is not mean or threatening. We would like to see the baby and get visitation if at all possible. Help!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Many courthouses have a legal assistance center or otherwise a place where they have forms available for these sort of matters and have staff able to assist in filling them out appropriately. Do that and get this matter before a judge. Continued communication with this woman is unlikely to yield results.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.