Galveston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Could I apply for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status?

I am a 17 year old living in Texas who was brought into the united states illegally at the age of about 14 months, I have never had a father figure due to the fact that he abandoned my mother and I, a bit after my birth [in Mexico], and am really looking for a way to legalize myself due to the fact that I know no other place but the US, and have no other place to call home (also due to the fact I have no family in Mexico), could I apply for SIJS? I would like to know before I get my hopes up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In order to get that status, you have to show that you are in the custody of the state. If you are living with your mother, that is probably not the case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.