Bossier City, LA asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Identity Theft for Louisiana

Q: My brother uses my name when cops inquire who he is

My brother has a bench warrant. He got a ticket for an argument him and his girlfriend got into. My brother did not go to his court date. He was arrested once for drug paraphernalia. He does not know my social or my drivers license number. He just gives them my name and DOB and address assuming they ask that. I know where I live he has done it twice. We look similar, but he has many tattoos very distinct. I don't have any. I spoke to one officer, and he assured me not to worry that we don't live in the 1960s anymore. I just don't know how to stop him. I'm afraid he may get a non traffic ticket and sign my name on it. For example he was stopped for not having a light on his bicycle driving at night and gave the female officer my name.

Each department or person I talk to has a different response. One lady told me they will put his fingerprints on the ticket, and not to worry about it. I read about the NCIC Identity theft file. This was made for people in my situation.