Murfreesboro, TN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Child support unique situation. I intend to avoid knowing reprecussions.

Non-married, child. 12/15 breakup. Verbal agreement 50/50 sharing. I paid for 80%+ of food, toys, clothing, etc. Everything good. They popped another child out 10/16 and another one 10/17 with partner. Bad financial management led to them getting evicted, 03/18. Provided ex and children a roof over heads. While ex went out and got drunk and smoked pot, I took care of kids. I found out ex stole my CCs and spent thousands on. Stole my tablet, kitchen pans, all my sons clothes, etc. Tried stealing car after I allowed ex to borrow it. One day ex took off with child, 05/18. No idea where. Slipped into grief and depression, sucicidal but didn't tell anyone. No family nearby to checkup. Found out sometime in 2019 ex left state. 09/19 I moved to TN for family support. Found out 10/19, ex moved back to FL. Now threatens child support FL. Self employed LLc TN, gated private residence, no trespassing, never leave home really. How likely does ex have a chance of succeeding in support if I avoid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you are sued by your ex for child support and are properly served, and then you fail to respond, be it in Tenn. or Fla., you'll likely end up with some kind of default order against you. Which can lead to further issues. Best not to ignore lawsuits if one is filed--things usually just get worse. You'd be wise to consult counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.