Birmingham, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: FOC won't help me get child support owed. Nothing has worked. What can I do?

My ex owes me over 6,000 dollars in child support. I barely make any money and have full custody of my son. He didn't show up to two show-cause hearings. They increased support and he hasn't paid me at all. One time they brought him in and he gave a sob story about how he doesn't have a job so they let him off. He doesn't work, doesn't have a car or a license and the only thing they can do is arrest him. Recently he was arrested for a DUI and driving without a license. This was 6 months after a bench warrant was issued. Nobody did anything to bring him in. The DUI was what made the bench warrant pop up. He was put in jail but the judge let him go without paying me a cent. What can I do? I don't make a lot of money and it is expensive to raise a child. He has paid me maybe 500 dollars total in child support and not a penny more. I need help. Friend of the Court will not do anything to help me. They just schedule a hearing, he doesn't show and a warrant is issued with no arrest.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This won't be the answer you probably want to hear but it is the reality. What you've seen is what will continue until the amount owed becomes such as to justify a felony charge for non-support. And even then, he may just sit in jail.

There is very little you can do on the enforcement end other than to perhaps assist the FOC in their efforts by notifying them if you become aware that he has a job, assets, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.