Paris, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Can a landlord force a tenant to continue to pay rent on a month to month basis beyond the expiration of a lease?

I rented a property with a one year lease agreement but only lived there about four months. I allowed other immediate family members to live there after i left and they did horrific damage to house. I have since fixed all damage (myself not by pros). Unfortunately, nothing suits landlord. It's ok one day next day it's not. Keeps finding new damages. Landlord insisted that I continue to pay rent on month to month basis until everything was to their standard even though my lease obligation ended first of year. No one has lived in property since family members were evicted. Landlord evidently doesn't know the proper procedure. Do they have this right?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You signed the Lease Contract, which apparently has not been terminated. Read the Lease concerning termination/ default. If you quit paying, the landlord can sue you for the remaining agreed rent, and might add damages. But he might not be able to collect. Walking away might be the prudent thing to do. Hopefully there is no security deposit involved, which you would never receive.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.