Nashville, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: I have a family member who I let stay in my house withou no lease signed. They have paid rent 1 time while living there.

We had told them at the ending of last month they need to be moved out now they are saying they have 2 months to live there still. They havent paid rent with in the last 3 months at all. Saying we have no right to step on that property to remove them?? They are trying to argue alot with us. The lights and water are in our name not theres. We still have mail coming in and out of the address. They just now recently got mail coming there too. We still had stuff in the house and they moved right in and didnt give us a chance to get all our stuff out. What can we possibly do to get them out??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You have to file a Detainer Warrant on the adults. It must be served or posted. You go to Court and ask for possession only. If they do not leave 10 days after judgment, then you must get a Writ issued for the Sheriff to remove them.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.