Burnsville, NC asked in Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: Step parent dies after biological parent there is no will whom inherits all property of grown living children in NJ

Nephews made funeral arrangements no mention of grown step children in obituary cause out of state never would let step children in family home. Father had died 2 years prior with brain tumor cancer and had him change his will 2 weeks before passing Grown children let it go cause thought property would be left to them upon her passing Nephews just took everything some property was grandparents biological parents How long can attempt to collect property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: You need to sit down with a probate attorney as soon as possible to go over the situation. A family tree is going to need to be created to go over all living heirs to figure who is entitled to what. The attorney will also need to review a copy of the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.