Akron, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: In 2015, I moved in with my mom into her apartment, she ended up moving out b4 lease up and I stayed and my bf moved in

Jan. 2016.. and up untill this day it has been me and him living here, under my moms name on lease, i was added as a occupant and the office mgr was aware my mom no longer lived here. Rent was accepted all this time from me, at renewal time, she told me to sign my moms name, which I did. Well last week property owner became aware and bumped lease to a month to month and is exercising their right not to renew after Feb 2020, is this legal, mid contract, even tho I was on orginal lease but just as a occupant? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Landlord can send you a 30 day notice of termination and then file an eviction if you don't vacate. You can attend the eviction hearing and argue that you have a valid lease, but that might not succeed since you signed your mother's name. Try to work it out with landlord, or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to review the situation and advise you. But you might have to leave, so you should also start looking for a new place. An eviction filing is a permanent public record and can make it difficult for you to rent from a landlord who checks. So try to avoid an eviction filing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.