Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation

Q: Settlement amount for workers comp case for back injury with permanent restriction. Please read on for more information.

I live in illinois. I injured my back at a medical facility where I work at. After receiving therapy and other treatments my physician put me on permanent restrictions. My physician was against me having surgery because of my age and the severity of the back injury. My employer sent me to their physician on 3 different occasions whereas their findings were all in my favor. My workers comp case has been active for 3 years and we're in settlement talks. The judge on my case gave me a 15% rate on my back. My employer offer me a settlement of $80K in which I decline. I am 50 years old that has permanent restrictions and can no longer work at a job I have done for the past 30 years. I don't have a degree so I would have to go back to school at my age to learn something new in order to make the money I was making before this injury.My question is what's a good settlement because I don't think that $80K is enough. What all should I expect my employer to pay for with my situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: Although your question is posted in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation, it appears to be a straight workers' comp case, unless there are third-party claims not mentioned here. A reason why your post might remain open for four weeks is that you ask an opinion on the settlement value of your case. Answering such a question could put the attorneys here in a difficult position, aside from the fact that they don't have your file before them, further compounded if you are represented by counsel. Otherwise, the workers' comp attorneys who are active on this forum answer far more difficult and complex questions about workers' comp law than this on a regular basis. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.