Stockbridge, GA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Georgia

Q: what can i do as a victim of fraud?

Last week my bank called to inform me of suspicious activity going on with my account (BBT). They told me that the person had attempted to, and succeeded, in entering my account via mobile device somewhere overseas. I was directed to change my account information and go into my nearest bank as soon as possible. I went in the next morning and noticed funds (over $2000) had been deposited into my account. I didn't touch it, and was hoping they could help me smooth things over. I was told that the checks deposited were indeed fraudulent and that my account was closed and there was an investigation in the works. At this point there was nothing else I could do but wait. I have no evidence of this happening besides bank statements. Yesterday I spoke with someone from the branch and they informed me that I have overdraft fees and a $-2000 balance on the account. i still have to pay this amount of money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: At this point, it is best to file a formal complaint with your bank. Do you have any documentation from the bank when they alerted you of any suspicious activity? Secondly, the bank should be able to determine where the funds came from and when the funds were withdrawn. If you did not withdraw ANY of the monies, you should be in the clear. It may take awhile, but it is best to remain vigilant and consistent about finding a resolution with the bank.

If you determine that your efforts are proving futile, it may be best to contact an attorney who can assist you with your circumstances.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

--The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.