Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Best/worse case scenario for person facing robbery, but has no prior convictions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jermario L Davis
Jermario L Davis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Robbery is a very serious offense. It carries a sentence of 1 to 20 years of confinement. The sentence for robbery can be probated depending on the circumstances, negotiations, etc. In my personal experience, the fact that the defendant has no prior history does not have a great impact on negotiations. Others factors coupled with the lack of a history may help.

The more serious offense of armed robbery carries 10 to 20 years of confinement. Note that armed robbery, unlike robbery, requires that the defendant serve a minimum of 10 years in prison. The 10 years can not be probated, it must be served.

As with any felony, you would be best served by obtained legal representation as soon as possible. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.