Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: What are the chances of my wife gaining custody of children in divorce with false claims? She is manic bipolar.

My wife has mental health issues, multiple attempted suicides, and been court ordered to stay at mental health facilities. She is diagnosed with manic bipolar. She is now making claims to me that she is going to say I have raped people and that I abused her physically and mentally. I have video of her actually doing both of these things though. I have a clean record. Nothing but a speeding ticket. What are the chances they will believe what she is saying?

1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Nobody can guarantee an outcome one way or another if the court is forced to make a decision regarding your children. However, If you can back up your claim with hard evidence the likelihood of a court awarding sole custody to a person with mental health issues is unlikely. In these situations it is usually best to seek the help of a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.