Terrell, TX asked in Tax Law for Texas

Q: We had Obamacare in 2018 & we didn't qualify. Now the IRS wants us to pay the diff. Can a tax lawyer help lower the amt?

We qualified in 2017 for Obamacare and just kept paying.

When we first signed up, I was told that we qualified due to the insurance at my place of employment being too high and my husband being unemployed at the time.

Even though he started a new job the next year, my insurance benefits didn't change that significantly, so I assumed we still qualified so we kept paying.

When we filed our 2018 taxes, the IRS said we didn't qualify and they wanted us to pay the difference of what it would have cost, which is over 10K.

We are already set up on a payment plan for a previous year filing, so with this amount added to it, along with penalties and interest, they now show us owing over 20K. I know I should have, but I haven't responded to the IRS's letters thinking that someone could direct me to a lawyer that could help, but I haven't had any luck with this and here I am.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: It is impossible to tell you whether or not we can do better for you without your financial information. Most of us offer a free consultation and could tell you if you are eligible for an Offer in Compromise or some other form of collection alternative. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.