Asheville, NC asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: I had a order of protection on my husband due to domestic violence. That has since expired and he’s off probation and

completed his classes. He got the kids out of state unsupervised twice since all that was finished but during the order they were supervised. But now my legal aide attorney said to withhold the children until she reviews some case files to determine whether unsupervised should continue or if going back supervised would be the better option. Do I send them or no? He said that without a judge saying so the lawyers word doesn’t matter especially before our divorce is final.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Violating a court order opens you up to potential criminal and civil contempt.

I would advise you to speak to your legal aid attorney about those risks so you can make a fully informed decision about whether to possibly risk 1) you going to jail for contempt of court, and 2) a court order modifying visitation so that the father gets more visitation with your son than he currently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.