Hobbs, NM asked in Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: Before passing away my mom was examined by a cardiologist to determine if she could undergo knee surgery.

The cardiologist examined my mom and said she was fine. My mom was 76 years old. She was also still employed. My mom had knee surgery a few weeks later. Approximately 5 weeks later she died of a heart attack. We were told that her heart attack was caused by almost completely blocked arteries.

My question is, did the cardiologist who said my mom was healthy and a good candidate for knee surgery fail by not discovering her clogged arteries?

This happened in the state of Texas.

Thank you for your responses.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother. It would be difficult for an attorney to answer your question based on a few brief lines, despite the fact that you concisely and clearly explained the fundamental basis of the claim you contemplate. As a starting point, you could contact a Texas attorney; most would offer a free initial consult. If they felt that the claim was viable to pursue, they could retrieve the file and ask a medical professional to review it. Attorneys who handle these types of cases generally work on a contingency basis, essentially meaning that they only get paid if they achieve a successful settlement or jury verdict. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.