Honolulu, HI asked in Divorce for Oregon

Q: Can my ex wife go after me for money even though we’ve been divorced for 3 years?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It depends. Once a divorce is final as to property it can't be re-litigated. Spousal support has to be awarded in the original divorce or it can't be requested later. If spousal support is in the initial divorce, then a proceeding can be filed to amend or extend it so long as it is still in effect. There can be additional matters that cause new litigation between two people who used to be spouses such as on going involvement in the same property. There are limited grounds on which a divorce can be revisited, such as the belated discovery of fraud, misrepresentation, or hidden assets. Also anything that was ordered in the original judgment can be brought back before the court for non-compliance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.