Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: What to do for bond reduction

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hopefully you have a lawyer to help, if not, you need to get a lawyer that practices defending the type of charges pending in the county where the charges are. Your attorney may be able to use the "attorney bond" to have the defendant released.

There has been a movement as of late to overhaul the entire bonding system because it has developed into an offensive weapon used by the state. Bail is supposed to ensure a person's appearance at their court date, not to keep people locked away. The amount of bail depends on several factor such as, the crime committed, danger to society, time lived in County, ties to community, and ability to pay bail. A domestic violence charge may be difficult to get bail reduced, particularly if a TRO has been filed.

I'm very sorry for your situation and wish you the best of luck.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.