Lincoln, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: I have full custody of my child who is 6, the other parent can only see with court supervision and has not tried in 4 yr

I want to file papers incase something happens to me the child will not go with other parent who has not seen her, divorce was also by default due to domestic case against other parent and him being in jail, do I need a lawyer to file this or is it something I can go pick up and fill out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There are a number of ways to help protect a child when there is only one parent in the child's life. One is by having complete estate planning documents, including provisions as to what you would request in case you would die before the child becomes an adult. There are also options such as a termination of parental rights for abandonment as well as adoption. Although you would not technically need a lawyer to draft these things for you, it sounds like you need legal advice from an attorney and likely would need to retain an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.