Haverhill, MA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: How do i stop an order since we are now married?

Years ago i started my then boyfriend on CS for our 2 sons. We have since got back together and have been married. We have had 3 other children since the order started. He owes technically me back support but her provides everything for us to live. How do i stop this order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Waller
Brian Waller
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You should contact DOR Child Support Enforcement Division and explain your situation. They will walk you through the steps you will need to take. In general, you will need to modify the child support order to terminate it, and as part of the process, you would waive the unpaid arrears balance. You should be able to do this without the assistance of an attorney, DOR deals with many child support payors and payees directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.