Fort Payne, AL asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: My 10 y/o daughter wants nothing to do with me. What are options on avoiding child support on her

She has blatantly stated she wants nothing to do with me and has refused to come for my court ordered visitation weekends. I have 3 others that visit regularly but she refuses saying she hate me. Can I stop child support on her considering she wants nothing to do with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. No, the rules do not contemplate stopping child support for this reason. Unless there is a safety issue, your 10 year old child does not get to decide who she does or does not want to be with or visit. There are several ways to handle this issue legally, but if you've not talked to mom about this problem yet, try that first. Otherwise, ask the Court's help to enforce it's orders over Mom via contempt for not following the visitation schedule. Thanks for your question and best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.