Coldwater, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: What happens if we are unable to get rid of all of the household items before the new owners move in?

My son inherited my ex-husband's house after his death. My son is three hours away at college, so we (myself and husband) have been responsible for cleaning the house out. The house sold, and the new owners will take possession in couple of weeks. We've had an estate sale, and now have listings on Ebay and Craigslist to sell the remaining household items, but so far we have been unable to sell everything. The new owner has contacted my son demanding that everything must be out of the house and barn before they take possession, but we re having a hard time getting rid of everything. Is there anything the new owners can do to my son is we are unable to get rid of everything?