Hamilton, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: How do you evict someone when selling a house in TN, when they were fully aware that us selling might be an option?

yearly lease, behind on payments, but paying so much bi weekly - renewed lease and even lowered the payment for them. Have had people come look at the house while tenant was there

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You must file a Detainer Warrant for possession only. It must be served or posted. You get a Judgment at the first hearing or the next. Then if the occupants are not out in 10 days, you must apply for a Writ of Possession to be executed. You obviously need an attorney and someone who can be the owner, property manager or landlord at Court. When you sell, the new owners take title subject to whatever possessory rights are present at that time in others, if any. It can be difficult and expensive, but you must get the process going first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.