Springfield, MO asked in Employment Law for Missouri

Q: My employer stopped payment on my final check now I owe money that is rightfully mine. What should I do?

(I recived my final check from my ex employer. I took the check the same day to a check cashing place and cashed it. Today the check cashing place called me and told me that my ex employer had placed a stop payment on the check and I owed them the money back plus fees. We are paid for current week of work, checks are left behind. He knew I was quitting that same day as we talked over it and why I was choosing to leave.)

I spoke with employer on the 2/19/2020 letting them know that I was leaving and why. They said ok. On 2/21/2020 I was given my final check. I cashed it at a location not a bank the same day.

Today 2/26/2020 I received a phone call from this location telling me that the employer had placed a stop payment on the check and I now owed them that money back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your post is unclear because you don't explain why the employer is claiming you owe the employer rather than vice versa. Therefore, it is hard to assess whether you owe your former employer or vice versa. For example, if the the check was to cover more than days you had worked, then I could understand that you might not be entitled to the extra funds. On the other hands, there can be criminal consequences to someone who passes a bad check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.