Springfield, MO asked in Employment Law for Missouri

Q: My employer stopped payment on my final check now I owe money that is rightfully mine. What should I do?

(I recived my final check from my ex employer. I took the check the same day to a check cashing place and cashed it. Today the check cashing place called me and told me that my ex employer had placed a stop payment on the check and I owed them the money back plus fees. We are paid for current week of work, checks are left behind. He knew I was quitting that same day as we talked over it and why I was choosing to leave.)

I spoke with employer on the 2/19/2020 letting them know that I was leaving and why. They said ok. On 2/21/2020 I was given my final check. I cashed it at a location not a bank the same day.

Today 2/26/2020 I received a phone call from this location telling me that the employer had placed a stop payment on the check and I now owed them that money back.