Harrisburg, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: If money from deceased’s account goes to the state, how long does it take before a family member can request it?

My aunt passed and as her POA I wanted to take care of her bills and get a grave marker but found out that my “duties” ended at death and I could no longer access her account. She has $1700 between her bank account and the money that will be returned from the nursing home. Her husband and children died before her and in order to use the money for bills or a grave marker I have to pay to prove their deaths (ordering 4 death certificates) and pay to become the administrator on top of other requirements. I’m considering just leaving the money to go to the state. My Mother is alive and there are also grandchildren. How long would it take before the money could be claimed from the state and who would be in line after my Mother to claim it? What proof is needed to claim it at that point? Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You are going to have to meet with an attorney experienced on estate administration to help you figure out this one. the summary above raises a lot of questions. If there are grandchildren alive they are first in line to become the Administrator of the Estate. If the funeral bill needs to be paid or reimbursed there might be a shortcut available, but the grandchildren appear to be the ones to coordinate that. The grandchildren also appear to be first in line to claim any Escheat assets as well/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.