Everett, MA asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: Can I, a minor, marry someone without my parents consent?

I’m a 16yrs Brazilian who currently lives in Mass with my parents, they have a Student visa, who which I’m dependent. Since I came here, I came out as gay, and they never were really well receptive. I have a boyfriend, and a whole new life in here, me and my bf are fearing that my parents want to go back to their country(they’ve threatened to), which would cancel my dependent visa, and therefore force me to leave too. We are in fear, we don’t want to be separated, I have a whole new safe place here.He suggested that we should marry, and after that apply for me to get a greencard(he’s a citizen). I talked to my parents about it, but they are against me in everything, the thing is, if it was a girl they would let, that’s one of many reasons I want to be able to stay here while they will left.

My mom says she will never help me with that, I’ll have to wait until be 18. I will probably not be here anymore. So I need to know if I can do without their consent, maybe a court order, but how?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You can not marry in Massachusetts without parental consent if under the age of 18. You should visit with an experienced immigration attorney and a family law attorney for specific guidance.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.