Alexandria, VA asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: How can we fight to not pay past dues on Child Support when the non-custodial parent was deployed overseas?

NCP deployed overseas, ex wife filed for child support in PR saying he wasn’t paying any money. He has proof that he was sending money to his youngest son, the other two he wasn’t sending money because prior to a case being opened in PR they had child support agreements in Philadelphia. The middle son at the age of 19 left to Minnesota and started working, ex wife was still receiving support for him, middle son came to live with father in Virginia and Asume never stopped the child support. NCP has been calling Asume to try to fix the problem, but no one never answers. Asume never took into consideration that NCP is married and has three young little ones and wife doesn’t work.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jose M. Rivera Santos, Esq.
Jose M. Rivera Santos, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings;

You will have to request a review of the case and hearings to present the evidence that can prove that there were child support cases in other jurisdictions, present copy of the deployment orders and that one of the dependents was living with dad a long with any other evidence that will support you allegations. Of course, there are some legal foundations, allegations and arguments that have to be done once the evidence helps the forum corroborate everything. If you have any other questions or need our help, feel free to contact us and our firm directly. We're glad to be at your service.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. ASUME never answers the phone thus you will continue to waste your precious time. You need to hire an expirienced Attorney in Puerto Rico and litigate the matter. With the evidence of payments that you made, military deployment documents at the time of her filing for child support , proof of child leaving the Mother's physical custody at age 19, then living with the Father, lack of legal administrative process in celebrating an administrative hearing and assigning a child support without your participation nor giving you any notification of said hearing thus violating thier rules and regulations established by law will all help to acheive your goal of eliminating the existing debt of arrears in child support.

These cases are not inexpensive nor easy to acheive since it is against the Family Department and involves children's rights. However with the proper evidence and legal representation it can be done.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.