Kansas City, MO asked in Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: I inherited my house from my grandfather 2 years ago. The house next to it belonged to my aunt and uncle.

Well over 30 years ago they gave some of their property to my grandfather who built a basketball court and volleyball court on. They have passed and the new owner says that the basketball court and volleyball court is on his property. Can I do anything about it? Located in Michigan City Indiana 46360

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your aunt and uncle subdivided their property and gave that part of their property to your grandfather, for that to be legally binding it would have had to have been recorded with the La Porte County Recorder. If you have any record of this transfer being recorded you could reveal this to the new owners but it is unclear in this situation that any such actual transfer occurred.

It could very well be the case that the property description still shows the land the courts are on as the new owner's property and that's what they paid for.

If there is no clear resolution to this you should consult with a local real estate attorney who may be able to examine the problem here and give you a path forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.