San Tan Valley, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: I was just served a divorce petition and I'm not sure how to proceed. I can't afford an attorney.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your first stop should be the Court's self-help page. There you will find an explanation of the process and links to the forms you will need. The first step is to file an ANSWER. After that you will need to work on your financial affidavit and preparing your disclosures. If you have children of the marriage, you should start lining up the required courses where that is concerned. Keep track of your timelines and ensure the Court has your current address.