Omaha, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: Don’t want to put my bd on child support but I get public assistance. Idc for adc, medicaid or snap benefits

Because I will be making enough money not to need those benefits anymore,and he can just add my baby to his health insurance. But he does for her regardless is there a way I can tell them that and bring in proof ? Like a written agreement, receipts and etc ? I will just need child care but willing to pay a co-pay if I have too

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If parents and their children are residing and raising their children in the same household, they need to report this to public assistance. If public assistance shows that the family are all residing in the same public assistance household, then the child support agency generally has no duty to pursue child support from either parent for the other.

If the parents and their children aren't residing together and the State is paying to help support the children, such as through a child care subsidy, then the law requires the State to pursue a child support obligation from the parent outside of the household receiving State aid.

That being said, the child support agency is likely willing to work with these parents as the goal isn't to pursue parents that are voluntarily supporting their children to the best of their financial abilities. You may be able to reach an agreement for a child support amount or other stipulated agreement. The parties should contact the child support office to see what the options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.