Asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: My boyfriend was sentenced to 1 year 4months on a felony violation of probation charge in Virginia back in October.

He was arrested July and was in jail until a week ago, he was then taken to prison to get his DOC number and finish his time. I've contacted Doc but never been given a release date. Could you give me an estimate on a release date? Also the jusde did grant him the 41 days he had pulled before court to be added as time served.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Spotsylvania , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Generally speaking, you take the time given and subtract the amount of time he has already done (41 days); he will serve 85% of the remainder.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.