College Station, TX asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I get custody of my grandchild after being charged with abandon with criminal neglect, if I have changed my life now

I have been clean since they took him from my home. I didnt have custody then. My daughter left him with me. I relapsed. and then let someone smoke meth in another room of my house. I have been babtised. I am working now. I bhought my own car. I go to narcotics anonomus twice a week. and have taken a parenting class as well.My husband has also taken an anger management class. and I am going to do the same. do you think i can get cstody of my grandson back. he is not doing what she is supose to. but I am. He was taken oct 10, 2019.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am happy for you. Great job, however the answer depends on whether your parental rights were terminated. If not I'd say courts would rather keep children with family members when possible so you have a decent chance. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.