College Station, TX asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I get custody of my grandchild after being charged with abandon with criminal neglect, if I have changed my life now

I have been clean since they took him from my home. I didnt have custody then. My daughter left him with me. I relapsed. and then let someone smoke meth in another room of my house. I have been babtised. I am working now. I bhought my own car. I go to narcotics anonomus twice a week. and have taken a parenting class as well.My husband has also taken an anger management class. and I am going to do the same. do you think i can get cstody of my grandson back. he is not doing what she is supose to. but I am. He was taken oct 10, 2019.

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I am happy for you. Great job, however the answer depends on whether your parental rights were terminated. If not I'd say courts would rather keep children with family members when possible so you have a decent chance. Best of luck to you.