Palmyra, PA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: My mom just passed away. It's only me & my oldest sister left but she refuses to be in contact with me to discuss

Anything with me regarding my moms arrangements or her personal belongings. What can I do to force her to give me my half of my moms belongings and deal with her final arrangements?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Very difficult to give you a complete answer with so little information. In general, if your sister fails to be in contact with you you can file a Petition with the Register of Wills (you are probably Lebanon County) to be appointed Administrator of your mom's Estate. Since your sister is not cooperating you should work with an attorney to assist you through the process and hopefully avoid this getting out of hand.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.