Omaha, NE asked in Child Support for Nebraska

Q: letterfromchild support saying there not requesting dna test anymore bc he signed paternity papers saying he is the dad

But they want us to come to court to vacate order of dna test will be called up for a hearing before district court .. what will happen this day? Never been in this situation before so I’m confused

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It is common for the child support attorney to file a motion for DNA paternity testing when there is a question of paternity in a child support case and paternity hasn't been legally established. Once a person signs a notarized acknowledgement of paternity to have the father's name added to the birth certificate, then there is now a legal presumption of paternity. Once there is this legal presumption of paternity, then there is no longer the need for the DNA paternity test for the child support attorney to establish paternity and child support.

If the child support attorney wants the court to cancel the order for DNA paternity testing, the child support attorney could file a motion to vacate, and thus cancel, the order that the parties submit to DNA paternity testing.

If you have a question about your child support case, you can call the child support office to ask questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.