Edmond, OK asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: My mother died with no will. My stepsister and my aunt forged my mother's death certificate and took all of her money

My stepsister forged my mothers death certificate by saying she is my deceased mothers child, but in fact she is not related to my mother at all. The funeral director knowingly lied also, as he had conducted my step sisters mothers funeral a few years before my mother died. I was out of state working and my stepsister and aunt planned and paid for everything (paid for everything using my mothers money) barely giving me enough time to make it across the country to PA with my six children. My mother had just settled a wrongful death claim on my father. My aunt, right before the lawsuit check came, opened a bank account with my mother and her on it, then proceeded to deposit the lawsuit check in the newly opened bank account. Also at the time of opening of said account my mother was not of sound mind to agree to opening such accounts. I did not find any of this out until a few months after my mother passing. Is there anything I could do to get access to my mothers assets? If so who?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: All of the acts you describe are wrongful, and the law does supply remedies for such wrongful acts, but you are going to find it very difficult to pursue your remedies on your own. Start by scheduling an appointment with a probate litigation attorney in the vicinity of where you mother had lived.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.