Louisa, VA asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: I live in Washington co tn and have older home and 5 acres . Around 10 years ago the county paved the "right of way " .

In doing this the lines to my septic and water (city line) were paved over. The property adjacent to the paved road is property 40 acres that is for sale by family of deceased owner. A contractor made offer and said it was contingent on moving my septic and lines . The contractor wanting to double width of road - saying I have to incur the cost of moving it. Further more there was an old church (late 1800s ) that was torn down and I know that there was a cemetery that the headstones had been removed but was behind the old church . I don't think the contractor knows the cemetery is there and plans to build housing subdivision on the land. Please help me with these situations

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: What is it that you want to do?...And the contractor can not make you pay for what is probably a road widening approved by the County Commission. In fact there have probably been two or three County Commission Meetings already on this subdivision development. Why did you not attend and voice your opinion?... Does the road widening involve your property, and if so, did you already deed off a strip of land for a pittance?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.