Laurel, MD asked in Probate for Maryland

Q: My mother died with no will and her only asset is car worth less than 20,000. What can I do?

My mum passed away leaving only a car with a trade in value of $17000. The car has been paid off by credit insurance but the bank has reposed the car and would not release it to me until I prove am authorized to be given account information. I am the only imediate family member residing in the country right now.

Is there some other way I can get this done without having to go through process of opening an estate, which could take up to 2 months.