Elkridge, MD asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello, I am interested in finding out more information about the ramifications on those charged w/ Terrorist threats.

Is it possible to purchase a firearm and acquire a CCL? It has been ten years since I was charged with this type of crime and I am actively looking to expunge it so I can take up my hobby of shooting and being able to protect my family again.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan L Hyde
Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The challenge is that you are likely prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm. This is for two reasons, the fact that your punishment could have been for more than 1 year and secondly because it was for a crime of violence. The feds define crime of violence as "an offense that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person or prop­erty of another." Terroristic threats would fall under this definition.

The question of whether you can possess one is much more difficult to answer because it requires a more fact intense examination of the question. 18 Pa.C.S. 6105 is the citation where you can look for general information. As a better guide you can consult with a local attorney, who can do a more factual analysis and then help you navigate what you have to do to get your gun rights restored if they have been taken away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.