Spokane, WA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Idaho

Q: Can my husband's ex use recordings she had our 14 year daughter record of us talking to our son w/out our knowledge?

My husband's ex slapped us with a emergency sole custody modification order and a restraining order using a picture she had my son send her and audio recordings she had my daughter record of my husband and I having a private conversation with my son. Is this legal? Can my daughter give consent to record a conversation she's not a part of?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Short answer: in Idaho only one party to a recording must give permission. However, it’s not your daughter that gave consent is it? It’s your husband’s ex-wife. So yes SHE can do that, but why does it matter to you? What was depicted in the photo? A little more information please?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.