Santa Clara, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My family has a duplex property in Mountain View, California that has been rented out for at least 10 years.

Both spaces are being rented out at the moment. We would like to terminate the lease of one of the tenants that was living at the property before my parents even bought the place. The last written lease was done a long time ago and since there is no formal written lease. I am wondering how many days would be enough to give notice to the tenants to move out? What I am to believe is that the lease is considered month to month and 30-60 days notice is sufficient. Please help advise. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Normally, it is 60 days, but with the Corona Virus going on, you may have to wait for 60 days to find out whether the Courts will reopen soon and allow you to proceed. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.