Lisle, IL asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: I have separated with my ex 2 weeks ago and she is bringing strange men around my daughter

2 weeks into separation, worried about strangers being around my daughter. She told me that one of them slept in her room, I have it recorded, is there an emergency way of getting a restraining order or full custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Unless something is happening to the kids, such as abuse or neglect, the Court will not entertain emergency orders. You may file for custody under a divorce or paternity action and establish a parenting plan and argue that the other parent does not have the child's best interests in mind. However, simply having others over absent any other factors is not grounds for removing the children from the other parent. You will want to consult with a local attorney about how to best protect your rights when filing a custody action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.