Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: I am a teacher and a coach in Ohio. I have a student, also one of my players who lives in a very bad home situation.

Her mother is addicted and verbally abusive when drinking. Social services has been called several times over the last couple of years but they always leave the young lady and along with her younger her sister in the home after the interview. She reports that things are always worse when they leave. She contacted me tonight asking if there’s anything her mother can do if she leaves home at 17. She is currently staying with her older sister until she finds a permanent place to live. I understand Ohio law does not give her any relief at 17 and she would be considered a runaway. I also understand it if I let her stay at my home I would be harboring a runaway. Is there any legal relief in that situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Her sister can contact children's services and ask for temporary custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.