Pocatello, ID asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: What can I do about a runaway

I have a 15 year old who has ran away two times now and I can't control him. I'm worried about it happening over and over again. What legal options would I have if I had to go a legal route

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Idaho has created an entire section in the code dealing with "at risk" youth. If you follow the statutory scheme, you would simply call the police and report what you're concerned about. Officers with any experience at all, will come visit with you and make a report. They will apply to the Court for permission to go pick up your son. Once they've picked him up he will appear in front of a Magistrate who will assign him legal representation, usually a public defender. Son's case will then proceed with an "arraignment" on "runaway" charge(s). The rest is up to the judge and your son and you, his parent as to what happens.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.