Lehigh Acres, FL asked in Lemon Law for Florida

Q: Can my ex boyfriend move out of state while a Paternity action is pending?

Child Custody question:

I served my ex boyfriend with a petition to establish paternity and child support on 3/1/20 in Florida. He just filed his answer on 4/3/20 and in his answer he has a CT address listed as his current address, and he has his income listed at $0. He was working when he was living in Florida and now he’s not working.

We have a 4 year old son together whom he has not seen or had any contact with since 8/2018, and our son does not remember him at all. In my Petition I requested supervised time sharing until they are reunified. Since he has now relocated will he be awarded with unsupervised visits since he’s not local anymore? I’m really worried about this as our son has no recollection who he is, the last time he had any contact our son was 2, and he is now 4, will be turning 5 in October.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, of course he can leave the state if he wants to. Presumably you are not asking if he can take the child; he can't without court permission. This will have to be resolved, hopefully between the two of you in the shared custody plan, or, if not, by the judge.

Jeffrey Snyder agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.