Omaha, NE asked in Family Law for Nebraska

Q: I am 17 and will be 18 in 2 months. I want to move in with my boyfriends family, will we get in trouble and take me away

My boyfriend turned 20 in September of 2019 but we had high school together and are only 2 1/2 years apart. I want to move in with his family because they support me, and my parents treat me very poorly. Can he get into legal trouble if I move into his house but have a separate room and it’s not his house? And will I get dragged back to my house by a police officer for leaving before 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If a child moves out without their parent's permission, law enforcement may assist in retrieving the child as a runaway. If adults are assisting the child in this, they could also be charged, whether the child is living in a separate room or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.