Bothell, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: What can I legally do to get back in my residence?

Between September 2018- April 2020 I lived with my now ex partner in her apartment and I was never put on the lease. I paid half of the rent and half of all the bills for this whole time. Two weeks ago she decides she doesn't want me to live there anymore and changes the locks without giving me a written notice to vacate. She has also filed for a restraining order against me and our relationship was never physically abusive or threatening.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: To give you a satisfactory answer it is important to know who you paid your rent to. Did you pay your rent to your ex-partner or did you pay your rent to the landlord?

You should talk to a local landlord-tenant to discuss your options and determine if you have a case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.