Sparks, NV asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: My grandsons are in custody of their father. How, as a grandparent, do I proceed to get visitation?

My daughter and husband are going through divorce. After years of game playing between them, the judge has placed custody to their dad. So now me and my wife need to know how to procede.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: In Idaho the Legislature has created a statutory right of grandparents to get their own visitation with a grandchild, irrespective of either parent's current custodial arrangement or order. To file such a petition you need to file a Petition for Grandparent Visitation and show that such visitation "would be in the best interests of the minor child." BTW judges appreciate grandparents who file thes petitions. It's good for children, particularly when one or both parents are making poor choices.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.