Warren, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Can I move out at 16?

i’m 16, turning 17 november 4th and i live with my mother. my parents were never married and are separated and both on drugs. i was wondering if 1) i could look into getting social security for my clinical ( not self diagnosed) depression, anxiety, adhd and mood disorder so that i could have a steady income, and 2) getting emancipated. i’ve been looking into it since i was 12 and i’ve seen that ohio rarely emancipates minors but considering the fact that my mental health has been rapidly deteriorating around my “parents” and that they can’t pass drug tests without using someone else’s clean pee i was wondering if there’s anything i can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not allow emancipation for your situation. Minors are not allowed to live on their own. If your parents were never married, and your father never obtained parental rights from the court, then your mother has sole legal custody. Talk to a family member, teacher, or other trusted adult, or call your local children's services office to discuss your situation. Perhaps a family member would apply for temporary custody or guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.